==== Name: Alexander CTS ==== DOB: 16th of October ==== Race: Chinese(Malaysian) ==== Religion: Christian ==== Gender: Male ====

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Feedback to UTAR


Finally, I have made the right move after 3weeks of suffering. I just sent a feedback form to UTAR. Here's the content:

<<<<
There are a few things that I would like to comment. First of all, I would like to comment about one of my lecturers, Dr XXX. He is currently teaching me Fluid Mechanics 1. The thing that I wanted to comment about him is the way he teaches. I knew that he had many years of experience in teaching, but I just cannot believe that the way he teaches is so poor. In other words, he will just read everything on the PowerPoint slides including every words and equations with a little and unclear explanation. Therefore, we, students have difficulty understanding the things he taught. Besides, he skipped many slides too.

For your information, I am not the only one having this problem with this lecturer. In fact, I have heard from many students that they are having this problem too. However, they are just too afraid to voice out this problem.

The reason I enter this university is because that I trusted that this university will provide a better service for me. Hence, I really hope for a better lecturer than this. If this continues to be like this, I believe that the examination result of every students will be greatly affected too. Therefore, I hope that this issue will be taken into a serious consideration and a solution to be found as soon as possible before it is too late.

On the other hand, I would like to comment about the UTAR bus service. I think there are insufficient buses provided by UTAR. The seats in the bus are always fully occupied and those students that cannot fit into it will have to wait for the next trip, which is an hour later. So I believe that it is better to provide more buses to solve this problem.

In addition, the parking slot provided by UTAR is quite limited. There are a quite a number of students traveling from far distance and failed to get a parking slot in UTAR, yet I am one of them. This forces us to park outside UTAR. However, the parking area outside UTAR is always fully occupied too. Therefore, we have to park on the yellow line. I believe that there are tons of summons issued to students per day and the summons are not cheap.

These are the issues that I would like to voice up. I hope that all these things will be taken into consideration and hope to get a positive feedback from UTAR. Thanks.
>>>>

The end. I have made my move. Have you? I need all of your support.

*Please don't copy and paste this into your feedback form please...

6 comments:

  1. "The reason I enter this university is because that I trusted that this university will provide a better service for me"

    -Cheh waaahh... mengampu betul...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.... UTAR, MY CHOICE!!!




    u know im kidding rite? lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i came across your blog by chance and as your senior (assuming that you are in Setapak Campus since ure taking Fluids), I strongly advice you to perfect something called 'self study' =]

    I mean, seriously, you can expect most of the lecturers in utar to be of that standard. And about the parking problem.. GOOD LUCK to you and pray for parking sticker next sem - its damn worth the RM 300.

    Also as a final advice, DO NOT go head on with your lecturer for they will get back at you in the finals. I'm not saying you should let it slide or anything but this kinda things you should do it AFTER your finals =/

    Hope this will help you through your life in utar. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your reply. Well, u know, we (students that are taking this subject) already tried our very best to study ourself. However, we couldn't understand what exactly we're studying. So we just go through the slides/notes with our minds blank. We solved those questions without knowing what we're doing, just applied the formulae. Sigh..

    Actually, I'm not the only one that sent this feedback to UTAR regarding this lecturer. There're a few more of them. Dr. Lai (head of department) even called one of my friend to meet up with him to talk about this lecturer. So a few of my friends and I went with him. After the discussion, Dr Lai came in to our class and asked all the students about the lecturer. Most of them agreed with the complaints. Then he said he'll talk to the lecturer again(this will be the 3rd time if i'm not mistaken).

    After all these things that happened, my lecturer really changed alot. Thank God.. haha.. but I don't think he'll do anything to my finals right? We, as students have the right to complain whenever we think that there's a thing that we don't satisfy right? because we paid for it, so they should provide the service for us.

    Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'll try my best to get through this although i'm still struggling with it right now. =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a note that your blog has reached another university because an academic chanced upon this, and used it to teach other academics here at the university, a lesson or two.
    You are certainly entitled to your comment, and I hope the lecturer in question would have the magnanimity of heart to receive this as an opportunity to learn, change and grow.
    I'm disappointed though that another lecturer felt that the lecturer you pointed out was worthy to have his name introduced to another university.
    So, when it comes to names, and lecturer's feedback, perhaps the best method would be to see the lecturer personally and offer your feedback, then, if he or she does not receive it positively, take two other students who agree with you, and go see the lecturer together, and then, finally, if this fails to achieve its intended outcome, maybe, see the Dean or Senior Faculty?
    Harder, and more hassle, but it does mean that people would have an opportunity to change within their name being profiled in public.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Franklin. Thank you for your reply. After this feedback had been sent to the department, they did took a few actions on this issue. The head of department went in to our class and asked for the students' feedback about this lecturer, and the result turned out to be the same as what I wrote in my feedback. Then the head of department personally talked to the lecturer regarding this problem.

    After that, I can see from my eyes that the lecturer did improved a bit. I'm happy to see the improvement and hope to see more improvement in the future. And I believe that he will be a good lecturer someday.

    ReplyDelete